East Midlands Branch – AGM and Reconnection Day
12 September - 10:00 - 15:30
East Midlands Branch AGM and reconnection day – Monday 12th September 2022:
- a chance to see what’s been happening in the town since the 2009 IHBC annual school
- an interesting focus for learning
- time to use the day as the Branch reconnection day where we can meet old friends and make new ones
The day will look at the regeneration and restoration at the Grade I listed Buxton Crescent, natural baths and pump room. The project to reuse the famous landmark building won ‘best restoration in an urban setting’ category at last year’s Georgian Group Architectural Awards.
The Crescent was built in the 1780’s by John Carr of York for the Fifth Duke of Devonshire. It was last used as a hotel, council offices and library until the 1990’s when it became redundant due to structural problems and deteriorating condition. With the help of significant funding from the National Lottery Heritage Fund and Historic England the C18 interiors of the ballroom and card room in the east pavilion were restored and the main crescent, natural baths and pump room were repurposed into a hotel, thermal spa and visitor interpretation centre.
We are aiming to have a tour of the Crescent. The Monday date means that those travelling further afield have chance to make it a long weekend in the Peak District area if so desired, so make a note and hold it in your diary!
- 10.00-10.30 Arrival – coffee and teas
- 10.30- 12.00 IHBC AGM
- 12.00-13.00 Lunch
- 13.00-15.00 Tour and talk is this enough time?
- 15.00-15.30ish Questions and close