- This event has passed.
ESC – Understanding and Treatment of Damp in buildings – including a new methodology
22 November 2021 - 09:30 - 16:30£245
This course covers the approach and practice in understanding dampness and moisture in buildings from a practical perspective, along with treatment. In summary it will:
- The differences between traditionally constructed buildings and newer buildings including the way they perform and should be treated.
- Ascertaining the age of a building and why its important
- Comparing and contrasting modern and traditional buildings
- Methods of inspection – issues to look out for
- Equipment and tools
- Moisture sources and how to ascertain
- Moisture movement mechanisms and how to ascertain
- Understanding the implications of alterations and retrofit and how to ascertain
- Implications of use and the environment
- Legal issues
The course covers the content of the new draft methodology ‘Investigation of Moisture and its Effects in Traditional Buildings’ agreed between the RICS, PCA and others. It is suitable for everyone that investigates and moisture problems in buildings and this includes surveyors, Retrofit Assessors and those designing and implementing works to existing buildings. Examples will include dwellings and other building types. At the end of the course, participants should have an understanding of the common causes of moisture problems in buildings, the approach to analysis, methods of investigation including the equipment to be used. The methodology can be downloaded at the below link, and this describes the course content.