- This event has passed.
SLCT – Making and Using Traditional Mortars C1-Contractor Level 1
4 May - 09:30 - 5 May - 16:30£290
Our most popular two day introductory course aimed at contractors and those with trowel skills, this practical workshop will provide attendees with a strong understanding of lime technology, how to approach re-pointing work in traditional buildings a
The reasons for using traditional mortars on solid walls will also be explained, to allow you to better advise clients. The course will guide participants to be able to complete pointing work to traditional buildings to a high standard.
The content of this workshop provides the underpinning knowledge required for assessment and accreditation of SQA National Unit 1 – ‘Preparing and Using Basic Lime Mixes’.
This practical course is aimed at building contractors and those undertaking repair works to traditional masonry structures. We are always happy to help learners choose the right course. Please contact us if you would like to discuss which course is suitable for you or your employees.
*C1 is a pre requisite course for our Traditional Masonry Repair C2-Contractor Level 2. Get £100 discount if you book C2 within 2 weeks of completing C1 or book at the same time. Contact our admin team to avail.
- Understanding traditional building technology.
• Understanding the range of binders, sands and aggregates for traditional mortars.
• Ability to undertake accurate mixing for repeatability and cost effective work.
• Understanding the setting characteristics of lime mortars.
Day 1 – Making Traditional Mortars
- Health and Safety issues
• Historic use of lime mortars
• Processing lime
• Best practice for mortar mixing
• Inspecting masonry
• Using the right tools
Day 2 – Using Traditional Mortars
- Preparing masonry joints
• Techniques of working
• Placing of mortar for repointing
• Joint finishing
• Curing and protection regimes